Volunteer as a Camp Counsellor in Ghana this Summer! July 21st - Aug 5th
Come join The Humanity Exchange 2012 Summer Camp Team this summer JULY 21-AUGUST 5th for a once in a life time experience volunteering with children in Ghana, Africa!Are you someone with fond memories of camp? Someone who enjoys working with kids? Has a passion for helping others? Come join our volunteer team in Ghana this summer for the opportunity of a lifetime.
Named 'Africa for beginners', Ghana is a beautiful, safe and welcoming country known as the friendliest in West Africa! Home to an array of wildlife, breath taking national parks, lush jungles and historical landmarks, Ghana is a country full of life! Come join us in Ghana this summer and embrace the beauty of the land and it's people! Jump on a tro-tro where you'll strike a conversation with some friendly locals! Stroll into a lively food market, or dare to try Fu-fu, one of Ghana's many authentic spicy dishes! The warmth and comraderie amongst the Ghanians is a unique and welcoming one.
Whether it’s a memory of your first time learning a sport, or your favorite sing-along tune, camp memories are unique and something to be cherished for life.You and your fellow volunteers will provide the opportunity for many Ghanian children to experience camp for the first time. Camp will allow them time to spend with friends outside of a classroom setting, and a chance to both explore their artistic & athletic talents, as well as their team building skills! In addition to volunteering with local children, your trip will include exciting weekend excursions such as venturing in a dugout canoe ride to one of the most unique stilt villages in the world, spending a day in the beautiful beach town of Cape Coast, and stepping back in history while visiting a world renowned slave castle! You will also have plenty of time to freely explore the local area, and learn more about the cultures around you. This program is generously sponsored by Endeavour Mining. We’d love to have you join us!
If you think this sounds like you, we’d love for you to join us.
Or, feel free to email us directly with any questions you may have:
- July 21-August 5th (2 weeks)
- During a period of two weeks, our team will run a summer camp in rural willages. Both villages are located in The Western Region of Ghana, where English is spoken.
- Volunteers will be responsible for working as a team to plan the camp schedule and run the daily activities with the children Mon-Fri.
- A team leader will be on site to ensure the program is running smoothly, and will be providing in-country support through out entire program.
- There are two amazing weekend day trip excursions to: Nzulezu, and to the Cape Coast slave Castle
- Top-quality amenities include: Orientation, 3 meals & bottled water daily, beach-front accommodations, and in-country transportation
As a camp counselor, you will have the opportunity to learn about different cultures of local communities, share your skill sets with the Ghanian youth, share your passion for helping others, and who knows what else? Maybe explore a new hidden talent at teaching arts and crafts! Here are some examples of the activities you may be a part of:
*Work with the team in creating a schedule
- *Organize a camp sing-along & dance
- *Run an arts & crafts station
- *Teach a new sport
- *Assist in leading an all-camp morning and afternoon assembly
- The team is staying at Axim Beach Hotel. Situated directly on a sun-drenched tropical beach, it has traditional Ghanaian style accommodation with modern facilities and genuine local hospitality. It is safe, with air conditioning and fresh drinking water provided daily. During down time, enjoy the magnificent long sandy beach, delicious fresh food and the African way of life.
- Axim Beach is situated on the coast near the tropical rain forest of Ghana's Western region, just a short drive away from our project site. We'll enjoy the peaceful surroundings, having team meetings by bonfire on the beach. This special setting adds to the overall volunteer experience for the team.
Program Fee is 890CAD or 890USD. Pay in American or Canadian dollars, whichever is better for you.
The fee includes:
- -Pre-departure support and assistance
- -Coordination of your placement
- -Airport pick-up & drop-off
- -24/7 in-country support for the entire time you are abroad
- -All in-country transportation
- -Oceanfront hotel accommodations
- -Three meals daily
- -2 weekend day trip excursions to Nzulezu Village & the Slave Castle in Cape Coast
- -When applicable, a reference letter, and/or compliance with your university or college for academic credit
The fee does NOT include:
- -Travel insurance
- -Pocket Money
Who we are looking for!
You are outgoing, positive, and are someone who has a passion for helping others. You are adventurous, interested in taking risks, and are willing to try new experiences. You enjoy learning about new places, cultures, and meeting people from around the world. You are a strong team player, and work well with others in a group. Most importantly, you are non-judgmental, and are open-minded to others different from you. You are someone who acclimates well to new environments and is flexible in adapting to change. You enjoy working with children and have the patience, kindness, and energy it requires!
Though some of our volunteers may have more experience working with children than others, we are looking for applicants who overall have an interest in & are comfortable working with children of all ages. Whether you are an undergrad, or graduate student considering a career in child and family studies, a professional working in fine arts, theater or dance, or are a social worker, school teacher, or counselor working in a school, clinic or other setting, this is a great opportunity to build on your skill sets. It will also provide you with a meaningful, learning experience and an opportunity to further grow as an individual and a team player!